June 20th, 2017 in English Grammar
We use the article ‘the’ before singular and plural nouns when we are talking about something in particular.
Read the examples given below.
The girl who just walked in is my neighbor’s daughter. (We are talking about a particular girl here. Which girl? – the one who just walked in)
The coffee machine that I bought yesterday is very expensive. (Which coffee machine? – the one that I bought yesterday)
I was happy to see the man who saved my daughter’s life. (Which man? – the one who saved my daughter’s life)
I have been to the doctor. (Which doctor? – my doctor)
The names of some countries are also written with the.
The United States of America
The United Kingdom
The United Arab Emirates
Note that we cannot use articles with Proper nouns.
I visited Paris last month. (NOT I visited the Paris last month)
Rewrite the following sentences adding ‘a’ or ‘the’ where required.
1. What did you do with camera I lent you?
2. Dog was sleeping in his crate.
3. Dad is in garage.
4. Did you enjoy party?
5. I haven’t seen sun for days.
6. I love listening to wind.
7. I visited my cousins in summer of 2016.
8. She gave beggar a few coins.
9. We had short holiday in month of April.
10. His mother is reputed doctor.
1. What did you do with the camera I lent you?
2. The dog was sleeping in his crate.
3. Dad is in the garage.
4. Did you enjoy the party?
5. I haven’t seen the sun for days.
6. I love listening to the wind.
7. I visited my cousins in the summer of 2016.
8. She gave the beggar a few coins.
9. We had a short holiday in the month of April.
10. His mother is a reputed doctor.