Travel, journey, trip etc
There are several alternatives for the noun trip.
The word journey is usually countable. A journey is a trip from one place to another. A journey can be long or difficult.
- The journey was quite exhausting.
- Did you have a good journey?
- Although the journey was pleasant, it was too long.
Travel is usually uncountable. It means ‘traveling in general’.
Travel has a plural form – travels
The word travels is used to refer to a number of trips undertaken over a period of time.
- He is writing a book on his travels around the world.
A tour is a single trip to several different places. During a tour you may visit several places of interest.
- He is on a business tour.
- Last year we went on a two-week tour of France.
An expedition is a journey undertaken with a specific objective such as scientific research.
- Who led the first expedition to South Pole?
An outing is a short trip. Most outings last less than a day.
- The school is organizing an outing to the museum.
An excursion is an organized trip.
- The travel agency organizes excursions to major tourist attractions in the area.
There are also some other words which suggest specific methods of transport.
A voyage is a long trip by sea. A trip in space is also called a voyage. Example: space voyage.
A flight is travel by plane.
A drive is a trip that involves traveling by car.
- We went for a long drive.
A ride is a short trip on a bike or a motorcycle.