Applying for a Job
Making a job application
Here is a list of phrases and statements you can use while making a job application.
- I’m looking for a job. Have you got any vacancies available?
- I saw your advert in the paper. / I saw your advertisement in the paper.
- Do you have any vacancies available?
- Could I have an application form?
- I’m interested in the position advertised.
- I’d like to apply for this job.
- Can I apply online?
- I’m looking for a part-time job.
Asking about the job
- Is this a temporary or permanent position?
- What are the hours of work?
- Will I get travelling allowances?
- Will I have to work on Saturdays?
- Will I be paid for overtime?
- How much does the job pay?
- I’d like to be paid weekly / monthly.
- Will I have to work overtime?
- Will I have to work shifts?
- What’s the salary?
- I’d like to take this job. When do you want me to start?
Questions you might be asked
- Do you have any experience?
- Do you speak English?
- We’re looking for fresh graduates.
- Are you willing to work long hours?
- Do you have a driving license?
- Are you willing to travel?
- Have you got the necessary qualifications?
- We need someone with experience.
- Are you willing to work over-time?’
- We’d like to hire you. When can you start?
- Are you willing to work shifts?
- Why do you want to quit your current job?
- There’s a three month probationary period. If your performance is satisfactory, you’ll be appointed on a permanent basis at the end of it.’