Uses of the
The definite article ‘the’ is used:
When we speak of a particular person, place or thing
- I met the Chief Minister yesterday.
- The driver stopped the car.
Before unique objects or natural phenomena
- The sun rises in the east.
- The sky is blue.
Before adjectives of the superlative degree
- India is the biggest democracy in the world.
- Mount Everest is the highest peak in the world.
- She is the prettiest girl I have ever seen.
- Solomon is the best player in the team.
- The cheetah is the fastest animal.
Before the names of sacred books: the Bible, the Koran, the Gita, the Ramayana etc.
Before nouns referring to the people of a country
- The Germans fought against the English in the Second World War.
Before the words first, second, third, last, next etc.
- She is the first woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
- The next train arrives at 6.30.
Before a singular noun representing a whole class
- The tiger is a wild animal.
- The rose smells sweet.
- The lion is the king of beasts.
Before an adjective used as a noun
Examples are: the rich, the poor, the jobless, the unemployed, the blind etc.
- The rich should help the poor.
- The unemployed are losing hope.
- They are collecting money for the blind.