Phrasal verbs exercise
Complete the following sentences using appropriate phrasal verbs.
1. She was a successful model, but her acting career failed to ………………….
a) take off
b) take out
c) take after
d) take up
e) take in
2. After retirement he ……………….. farming.
a) took after
b) took in
c) took up
d) took off
e) took over
3. As she could not find a lawyer willing to ………………… her case, she decided to defend herself in court.
a) take on
b) take over
c) take down
d) take out
e) Take to
1. She was a successful model, but her acting career failed to take off.
2. After retirement he took up farming.
3. As she could not find a lawyer willing to take on her case, she decided to defend herself in court.
1. When something takes off, it becomes successful. To take out is to apply for and get something. To take after somebody is to be like them in appearance. To take something up is to start an activity as a hobby. To take something in is to understand it.
2. To take after is to resemble. To take in is to understand something. To take something up is to start it as a hobby. To take something off is to remove it. To take over is to take control of something.
3.To take on a task or responsibility is to accept it. To take over is to take control of something. To take down is to write down information. To take out is to apply for something. To take to somebody is to start like them.