February 11th, 2011 in Improve English
It is possible to change the degree of comparison of an adjective in a sentence, without changing the meaning of the sentence.
Change the degrees of comparison in the sentences given below.
1. Lead is heavier than any other metal.
2. Susie is the tallest girl in the class.
3. Gold is more precious than silver.
4. Bombay is one of the biggest cities in India.
5. Wordsworth is the greatest of all English poets.
6. India is the largest democracy in the world.
7. The tiger is the most ferocious of all animals.
8. Asia is the largest continent in the world.
1. No other metal is as heavy as lead. / Lead is the heaviest of all metals.
2. No other girl in the class is as tall as Susie. / Susie is taller than any other girl in the class.
3. Silver is not as precious as gold.
4. Few Indian cities are as big as Bombay. / Bombay is bigger than most other Indian cities.
5. Wordsworth is greater than any other English poet. / No other English poet is as great as Wordsworth.
6. No other democracy in the world is as large as India. / India is larger than any other democracy in the world.
7. No other animal is as ferocious as the tiger. / The tiger is more ferocious than any other animal.
8. No other continent is as large as Asia. / Asia is larger than any other continent in the world.