November 9th, 2015 in Expressions
Here is a list of phrasal verbs beginning with the letter H. Each phrasal verb is followed by its meaning or definition. Example sentences are also given.
To hang up is to finish a phone conversation.
- Please don’t hang up; I want to talk to you.
To hang something up is to put a painting or a coat on a wall or a hook.
- He hung up his coat and went to bed.
You have someone back when they return to you after they have been away.
- She was glad to have him back.
To have something on is to be wearing it.
- Do you remember what he had on when he left home yesterday?
To hit back at your critic is to defend yourself against their criticism.
- She hit back at her critics who said that her works were not original.
To hold something back is to control it.
- She struggled to hold her tears back.
- We cannot allow the lack of electricity to hold back the development of the country.
To hold prices down is to keep them low.
- Weak demand and excessive supply could hold prices down.
- Hold up
To hold somebody up is to delay them.
- The religious procession held up traffic in the city.