August 8th, 2014 in Expressions
Across the board
If something is implemented across the board, it affects everyone or everything.
- The company is expected to increase salaries across the board.
Adjourn a meeting
To adjourn a meeting is to end a meeting.
- The meeting has been adjourned until the next day.
At a loss
If something is sold at a loss, its price is lower than its cost.
- Thanks to competition, companies are often forced to sell products at a loss.
Bail a company out
To bail a company out is to rescue a company from financial trouble.
- The government will have to bail out at least some of these financial institutions if it wants to maintain stability in the economy.
Ball park figure/estimate
A ball park figure is a rough estimate.
A: ‘What will be the cost of repairing the roof?’
B: I’d say 600 dollars, but that is a ball park figure.’
Bang for the buck
When you get bang for the buck, you get value for the money spent.
- I think you will get much bang for the buck if you start advertising on the internet.
Banker’s hours are short working hours. People working in a bank typically work fewer hours than those who work in other establishments.
- If you want to work banker’s hours, you shouldn’t apply for a job in sales and marketing.
To bankroll someone is to finance them.
- The rich parents bankrolled their son while he was launching his new project.
This is an informal term for an accountant.
- We were keen on moving to a bigger office, but the bean counters told us that we didn’t have enough money.