March 1st, 2015 in Expressions
Here is a list of food-related idioms.
When you eat dirt you accept bad treatment without complaining.
- My boss is in unscrupulous guy. He makes us eat dirt.
Eat humble pie
To eat humble pie is to admit that you were wrong.
- I had to eat humble pie when he proved that I was wrong.
Eat like a pig
To eat like a pig is to eat in such a way that you demonstrate your lack of table manners.
- He has terrible table manners. He eats like a pig.
Eat one’s words
To eat one’s words is to take back something you have said
- I told him that I would win if we ever got into a fist fight, but I had to eat my words when he proved me wrong.
To want someone’s head on a platter
When you want someone’s head on a platter you are very angry with them.
- The celebrity was so angry with the photographer that she wanted his head on a platter.
To suck up to somebody in power is to try to gain favor by being extra nice to them.
- I don’t think highly of her. She is always sucking up to the rich and the influential.