July 24th, 2017 in Expressions
A hidden agenda
When somebody has a hidden agenda, they have a secret motive for doing something.
- It would be foolish of us to believe everything that she says. I really suspect that she has a hidden agenda.
If something is half-baked, it hasn’t been properly thought out or planned.
- It was a half-baked plan, so nobody was surprised when it failed.
Hang in there / hang on in there
This is usually said to encourage people who are in a difficulty situation.
- Hang in there. Things should get better soon.
Hard to come by
If something is hard to come by, it is difficult to find.
- Writers of his caliber are hard to come by.
Hot under the collar
If you are hot under the collar, you are angry or annoyed about something.
- She was hot under the collar when she heard that they had lost that contract.
Bored to death
When you are bored to death you are so bored.
- I’ve nothing to do. I’m bored to death.
- That film bored me to death.
You’ve got to be kidding = you must be joking
- ‘Mom, can I wear this short skirt to the party?’ ‘You’ve got to be kidding baby. You’re a 15 year old girl. You shouldn’t wear clothes of that kind.’
Sick and Tired
When you are sick and tired of something, you no longer find it interesting or exciting.
- I’m sick and tired of eating the same thing for dinner every day.