July 12th, 2016 in Words
Here is a list of phrasal verbs with example sentences.
To back down is to withdraw.
- Public protests forced the local administration to back down on its decision to build a sea link.
To bank on someone is to put your hopes on them.
- We are banking on you to help us in this hour of need.
When you black out you lose consciousness.
- She accidentally hit her head against the wall and blacked out.
To block something off is to separate it using a barrier.
- The police blocked off the entire area after the explosion.
When something blows up it explodes.
- The children blew up the balloons.
When someone blows up they become very angry.
- He blew up when he heard that their team had lost the match.
- Why are you blowing up at me?
When someone breaks away, they separate from their group.
- The wolf broke away from his pack.
When things break down, they go out of order.
- When the refrigerator broke down, we called in a technician.
When people break down, they lose control of their emotions.
- Alice broke down when she heard the news.
To break into a place is to enter it by force.
- Burglars broke into our home when we were away on vacation.
When something breaks out, it starts suddenly.
- Riots broke out all over the country when the government passed the controversial law.